Value Drivers: Capital Project, Turnaround, Detailed Design
Major modifications were required at a 220,000 BPD refinery to comply with clean fuels regulations.
The refinery dated to the turn of the century where current existing condition documentation was inaccurate, incomplete, missing or non-existent.
Quantapoint’s digitizing solution and work process was selected to generate the 3D model for portions of the existing refinery. Our scope of work required that digitizing be completed throughout the refinery; from at-grade to scans on top of the RCC and FCC units (over 250 feet above grade). Some of the unique aspects to this project included the following:
Some of the unique aspects of this project and benefits received included the following:
- Client estimated it would take five months to generate existing conditions documentation
- Quantapoint finished in just 22 days
- There were major cost benefits realized vs. the cost of collecting the data manually
- Lead piping engineer never visited site
- Design team trusted the accuracy of the Quantapoint data
- Detailed engineering design executed using an offshore engineering center
- Quantapoint data was shared to India to support this effort
- Almost 500 piping tie-ins hot-linked to images
- Temperature of pipe recorded by using infrared camera and linking to database
- Volume digitized was approximately 5,000,000 cubic feet
- Data network with average resolution of 3mm